Tuesday, February 10, 2009

This weekend Jon tried his hand at bread making. This resulted in a colossally messy kitchen and some really good potato bread. Bread likes soup, so try this:


Roasted Tomato Soup
  • 6-7 tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled (I did 8 cloves. That’s a Ruel: always double the garlic)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 cups stock
  • 1/4 cup cream (I used more like ½ cup)
  • Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375.

Cut tomatoes in quarters and lay cut side up in a roasting pan. Add unpeeled garlic cloves. Drizzle everything with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes until the tomatoes and garlic have started to caramelize.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, then add the diced onion and cook until translucent — about four or five minutes. Add sugar, then stock. Bring to low boil.

Remove paper skins from garlic. Add the tomatoes and garlic to the pot with the stock and let it cook for a few minutes. Pour everything into blender and whiz until velvety smooth. Add cream or milk and whiz for another minute.

1 comment:

Deanne said...

You just reminded me of the time my room-mate at BU said to me, "Sometimes bread is better in soup than crackazah." I had never heard of "crackazah" before. ;P After I realized what the heck she was saying in her thick Bostonian accent, I agreed with her (and you!). Soup does like bread.