Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I never heard of hummus until I started going to Jon's family's functions. It doesn't make a very good first impression, does it? Sitting there all gloppy and brown? For a long time I swerved right around it on my way to the kugel. Over the years I've become a more adventurous eater, though, and have found that hummus, well made, is delicious. Good with little triangles of pita bread, as Jon's family serves it, or on chips. Even better spread on your favorite sandwich. (Well, maybe not if your favorite sandwich is a fluffenutter.)

So live a little. Try the gloppy brown stuff. If I can do it, you can too. You can forget about the gefilte fish, though. That's just not going to happen.

Hummus

2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
6 oz water
1/2 cup tahini
4 cloves garlic, peeled *
6 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons ground cumin **
1/2 teaspoon salt
few dashes pepper

Toss in a blender til smooth.

*Dagny usually makes this. I asked her how much garlic she uses. Her response? "I don't know lady! A lot! A lot is always better. I usually end up doubling garlic in anything I make." To which I reply, "Of course you do! Always double the garlic is a Rue-l."

**Dagny suggests adding more cumin - to taste - after blending.

As I've mentioned, we like leftovers. This recipe makes quite a bit of hummus. Feel free to cut it in half. Or don't. Dagny thinks the flavor improves after it sits in the fridge for a while. So why not make a bunch?

No comments: